Wednesday 3 September 2014

Wk 6: Camera Use // Three Point Studio Lighting

Great to start looking at studio lighting. The exercise of attempting to have full control of the light rather than being at the mercy of the outside world is very appealing. Although understanding the technology is a different story!

I did go home and watch tutorial video and although it wasn't a great video (I have also lost it and have no idea where it is) it did give me a bit more of an understanding of the three point system. In the video they also discussed Ratio in regards to key and fill lights with standard being 3:1. Ratio is something I could get my head around and this started to make sense. 

Three Point lighting:


Shot Details: 
Aperture:f/ 9.0
Shutter Speed: 1/80
ISO: 100
Thoughts: With the help of my fellow students we were able to get this shot quite quickly. Perhaps the hair light could be a little higher but overall I am happy with this image.


Shot Details: 
Aperture:f/ 9.0
Shutter Speed: 1/80
ISO: 100
Thoughts: In this image the hair light was lifted higher and you can see it more here on the top left hand side of her hair. Potentially the fill light could be a touch brighter here.














Shot Details: 
Aperture: f/ 5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/80
ISO: 100
Thoughts: Halo. Took a while to get this in the right place and it could still be a touch higher. The key light was turned off and only the fill light was used.


Shot Details: 
Aperture: f/ 5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/80
ISO: 100
Thoughts: Just the back light from the three point set up was used with a snoot to create this image. I personally love the shadows in this image and the placement of the subject's face gives her a very graceful quality.


Shot Details: 
Aperture: f/ 5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/80
ISO: 100
Thoughts: I was just experimenting at this point. Again just one light was used.

Portrait Pose
Inspiration Image

 Outcome

Shot Details: 
Aperture: f/ 5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/80
ISO: 100
Thoughts: This was a relatively difficult exercise. The more you look at am image the more you realize you hadn't noticed at first glance. I had difficulty in getting the placement of the light in conjunction with the subjects face. This result came from placing the light in line with the subject although I think it would have been best to place it slightly further back. In terms of the pose obviously there are some details that aren't matching the original image and I could have directed this better but overall I am happy with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment